Perhaps no other technology has been as effective in successfully monitoring pregnancies as Ultrasonography. Our Ultrasound Services Unit have been leaders in fetal evaluation and prenatal diagnosis since the unit's inception in 1989; using the most advanced ultrasound machines—some with 3D capabilities. All members of the unit have been at the forefront in advocating that all pregnant women have access to quality ultrasound during pregnancy. The unit's sonographers and Maternal-Fetal Medicine physicians are highly skilled in evaluating fetal development, and identifying a wide variety of abnormalities.
- They perform detailed evaluation of fetal anatomy in the second trimester, and can identify or exclude many types of birth defects.
- First-trimester ultrasound, commonly performed to evaluate the risk of genetic abnormalities, has allowed for the early detection of some major abnormalities before the second trimester.
- If physicians suspect or diagnose fetal or maternal complications, they will work with you to provide you with access to and coordinate care with some of the world’s finest specialists.
- Together, we will develop the very best treatment options for you and your baby. Detecting early evidence of complications and establishing an effective course of action helps everyone achieve the goal of healthy mothers delivering healthy babies.
All women having ultrasound at the Weill Cornell Medicine’s Ultrasound Services Unit have the opportunity to consult with one of our Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists to discuss any ultrasound findings. If complications are suspected, Weill Cornell Medicine physicians will work with patients and their obstetricians in formulating the best plan.
The range of fetal ultrasonography services includes:
- First and second trimester Down syndrome screening
- Miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy screening
- Multiple pregnancy screening
- Fetal anomaly screening
- Assessment and Evaluation
- First trimester evaluation
- Second and third trimester anatomical assessment
- 3-D ultrasound evaluation
- Prenatal diagnosis
- Testing and monitoring
- Biophysical profile and Doppler velocimetry/non-stress testing
- Diagnostic Procedures
- Chorionic villi sampling (CVS)
- Cordocentesis/Fetal blood sampling
In addition, we also perform screening, diagnostic, and interventional ultrasound for general gynecology, oncology, and reproductive endocrinology patients.
Gynecological ultrasound services include, but are not limited to:
- Pelvic evaluation
- Evaluation of ovarian masses
- Screening and detection of ovarian and endometrial cancer
- Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Director of Obstetric Imaging
- Director, Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship Program
- Assoc. Director, Residency Program
- Attending Obstetrician & Gynecologist
- Assoc. Professor of Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology